Yesterday was my 26th birthday. I didn’t spend the day lounging around the house and I didn’t spend the night partying it up (like I did on my birthday 5 years ago). Life has changed so much and brought me so many things I didn’t expect. For example, I didn’t expect to feel so damn old turning 26, but lookit that, I do!
Some of these might be cliches but other stuff is serious and important and I’ve actually learned some things SO LISTEN UP BECAUSE I MAY NOT KNOW IT ALL BUT I KNOW SOME STUFF.
- The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. In fact, sometimes your grass is the greenest grass in the whole county, but it takes jumping the fence to understand that other peoples’ grass sometimes just SUCKS and then you have to jump the fence AGAIN to get back to your green grass. See also: Hindsight is always 20/20.
- There is no one right way to do anything. There are always multiple ways to accomplish something, and nobody will ever be able to tell you which way is the right way for you. So put on your big girl panties and make the decision for yourself.
- Popularity doesn’t matter. I don’t even need to expand on this. It just doesn’t. Accept that and move on.
- It’s more important to be happy than it is to be right. This one applies mainly in relationships (but has merit elsewhere), and has been particularly difficult for me to swallow, but after multiple episodes of severe unhappiness, I’ve recently decided that OKAY FINE I’ll just nod and smile and recite IN THE BACK OF MY MIND ONLY AND NOT OUT LOUD, “I’m right, you’re wrong, neener neener.” Sometimes. (But sometimes is better than never, no way, no how, nuh-uh.)
- Ohmygod, stop trying to be perfect. Aside from the fact that PERFECT DOESN’T EXIST, it’s also exhausting and we have such little time here anyway, why waste it on something that is actually unattainable?
I’m sure I could come up with 5… 10… thirty bajillion… more. But jesuschrist I’m tired.